** The Summer Bridge Program - NASA JPL will not be offered this summer 2011 **
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Program (ALVA) is an eight-week, residential summer program located near the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) campus in Pasadena, California. ALVA is a partnership program between NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena and the University of Hawaii at Manoa focused on recruiting and retaining historically underrepresented American students interested in pursuing careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Incoming freshmen will have the opportunity to live, study, and work in Pasadena, California.
The ALVA Program addresses areas of interest for incoming freshmen:
• High technology research opportunity in world-class facilities
• Greater preparation for college-level math courses
• Financial assistance
• Independent living and life skills
Participating students will follow a daily schedule consisting of:
• A six-hour research internship at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
• A two-hour math class and study session
Students will also participate in field trips and weekend activities. The ALVA JPL Program culminates with student final presentations, giving each participant an opportunity to discuss his or her summer internship and research.
Spaces are available for incoming UH Manoa freshmen that have been accepted for enrollment in engineering programs at the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus.
Eligible applicants with the following are strongly encouraged to apply:
• Students of Native Hawaiian or Native Pacific Island ancestry
• Students with an interest in mechanical, electrical, or aerospace engineering
Participating students will receive the following benefits:
• Gain practical knowledge working on specific research projects while supporting their academic success through tutoring, mentoring, and internship opportunities
• Work side-by-side with NASA JPL researchers and engineers
• Earn a stipend (upon successful completion of the ALVA JPL Program)
• Fight transportation and housing assistance provided
** The Summer Bridge Program - NASA JPL will not be offered this summer 2010 **